Wednesday, July 1, 2020

July Is Here

Here we are in July. The hot weather is prompting my tomatoes to grow. 

My basil got a trim tonight. 


I put it in my mini food processor with some olive oil, half a clove of garlic and a sprinkling of walnuts. I didn't have the traditional pine nuts. But any fatty nut will do. 


Presto! I've got pesto! I'll freeze it and put it them a ziplock bag. There's nothing like adding a cube of this to your tomato sauce when the weather turns cold. Summer all over again.  I harvest  this throughout the Summer, adding to the bag until I have enough to use all winter long. Soups, sauces, even by itself with some pasta and grated parmesan. It's devine.


Our squirrels are happily eating the peanuts that the husband puts on the fence. Reggie is not pleased with the squirrel's dining area. He tries to get to them, but the fence is too high.


Here are my grandmother's chickens. They sit atop my buffet. They used to reside in her kitchen when I was growing up. I spent lots of time on the Eastern shore of Maryland at my grandmother's. Many, many Summers. More on that another day. I am glad that I ended up with her chickens.

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm, the pesto sounds delicious! The ceramic chickens look like something my gram would've loved; I'm glad it has a good place in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that the chickens are here with me, too. They do say "grandmother", don't they?

      Delete
  2. Those are the cutest chickens. Even cuter because they are filled with memories!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Somewhere I have a picture of them in my Grandmother's kitchen. I'll have to dig it up...

      Delete
  3. Hello, I need to trim my basil. Your squirrels look happy.
    I love the cute chickens. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My basil has already started to grow again, after 2 days! They'll need another trim soon.

      Delete
  4. I am kicking myself for not putting in any basil this year. You've got quite the harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't do well last year. This year, they are thriving!

      Delete
  5. I use almonds in my pesto. Pine nuts are so pricey!

    I love that squatty chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almonds. Good to know! I always have raw almonds to snack on.

      Delete
  6. ❤️ the chickens! My sister has our Mom’s chickens on display so I can see them when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens are a perfect thing to have in the kitchen or dining room, in my opinion.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that sounds delicious! I love watching squirrels!

    At one point I had a couple chickens similar to the rooster. They had already been broke when I picked them up somewhere. Now I don't remember what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rooster had one tail feather that has broken off. But it's hard to tell and he's quite beautiful anyway.

      Delete
  8. I love chickens! I have many sprinkled throughout my kitchen - I have two that are from my gram that are vintage :) We have basil growing and I haven't snipped them yet- they are definitely due though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting to have vintage things from your family, I think. My basil will be ready for another trim in a week or so. It's growing like crazy!

      Delete