Saturday, June 6, 2020

Saturday

I put up a hummingbird feeder yesterday. By the afternoon, I witnessed 5 visits. Those are only the visits that I witnessed out of my kitchen window! Who knows how many times they came in all. It's another thing that brings joy to my house. 



I managed to snap a few pictures through the kitchen window.





For you who have feeders: How often do you change the syrup? I made my own out of sugar and water. In the Summer heat, I don't want it to get wonky. Any ideas, or should I give it the sniff test?




15 comments:

  1. My mom and dad always had those feeders on their front porch but they used a commercial syrup for them. I have no idea how they took care of them. I used to love to watch the birds through their front window. I can't have those here. 7 cats and counting. Our woods are full of ferals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use commercial syrup, but I read that the red dye isn't good for the birds. So now I use sugar water. 7 cats! Wow.

      Delete
  2. Hello, they bring me joy too. I love seeing the hummingbirds. I read it depends on the temperatures 85° and above, change the sugar water every 2-3 days. I try keeping one in the shade. I have one feeder they love and it seems to go fast, unless something else is visiting the feeder. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummingbirds are fun to watch and they’re very territorial. If you have a lot of hummers, there will be no question when to change the sugar water: the feeder will be empty. Clean the feeder at night, so they can feed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it is very hot I change the sugar water at least every two days, but usually it's empty within a day or so anyway once the hummers find it. They've been feeding like crazy on my feeder by the lake.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the comments with interest. I hope you gets lots and lots of visits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I change my water every day or so and make sure it's good and clean so no mold builds up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I change mine every few days when it is so hot out! Great shots of your visitors!!!!

    ReplyDelete