Sunday, June 28, 2020

Sunday And Almost July

Where did the time go? I have been a neglectful blogger these days. The lure or Facebook and other social media was strong these past few weeks. I've been doing a lot of reading about current events, as well. What have I taken from that? It's not good for me to read so much about the state of things. Also, there are a lot of stupid people out there. Also, WEAR A MASK.

On to my last few weeks...

Plants are a-poppin' all over my yard.


I love elephant ears. They have a very calming effect when they sway in the breeze like a big sail. And when the sun shines through in the evening, they are a piece of art.


My basil came back strong from the cold weather in April. You all told me that it would. You were right. Thank you. 


The cucumber plant has given us three nice cucumbers so far. And by the look of all of the blossoms, it will continue. I see tzatziki in my future. 


Remember those little baby coleus that I planted in these hangers? They have grown. 

In order to satisfy my husband's addiction to everything walnuts, I made him these. I even substituted the vanilla in the cookie dough with walnut extract. He was a happy boy.


I finished my socks, and have started a new pair. here are the finished ones:



Hard to tell, but the heels and toes are sparkly yarn.  I like doing socks with a pattern. They go so much faster than a plain ribbed cuff. These were a lot of fun.

I've been going through my family pictures and documents. I've found a few really interesting things. Here's a picture of my grandmother and her dog.


Here are some ancestors...


I have TONS of these kind of pictures. Some are labeled on the back, but most are blank. If only these people were alive to see me going through these pictures and wondering who they are and how I'm related. 


Lots of pictures of rooms. The person who took it was proud of their abode, I'm sure. If only I knew whose house it was...

Anyway, I'm also on a mission to find information on an ancestor from the Union Army of the Civil War. I found a document given to him by the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U.S. It's an organization formed after the Civil War that gave honors to veterans. The one that I have is signed by Ruthorford B Hayes! I have reached out to family members to see if they know who he is, to no avail. People have vague remembrances of somebody that fought, but can't come up with a link to our family. I did find this:


And this:


I've reached out to a few archives people and someone from the organization (which still exists). I upped my subscription to Ancestry.com and am still doing my research. To be continued...



18 comments:

  1. I've always wanted an elephant ear plant... but they get too big for our house. They can't stay out all year where we are. One day though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I get new ones every year. Mine die out in the fall outside when it gets cold. The bulb never makes it back the next spring, so off I go to the garden center...

      Delete
  2. Your plants are amazing!!! I have terrible cucumber envy. Mine are looking pretty sad. Those socks are so much fun. That yarn is gorgeous.
    My sister who is home recuperating from Covid just renewed her Ancestry subscription too. We've been going back and forth with info and have found some incredible things. My great, great grandmother and my namesake was married at 11!!! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things were much different when you peel the onion back and look at the generations before us! Best wishes to you sister on a complete recovery.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are on a hunt! Have fun. You'll have to let us know WHAT you find out about your Civil War ancestor.

    The plants look great. There is something special about eating things that you grow yourself. They ALWAYS taste better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hitting dead ends on the ancestry, but I'm not giving up. Ever since I was little, I have felt that food that I have grown myself is magical.

      Delete
  4. So glad to see this post...I don't know where to begin. I enjoyed it from beginning to end...love that Elephant Ear shot. LOVE your socks...they sure are pretty. And really enjoyed the old photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! I will continue to blog as long as I have readers like you.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Your plants are look wonderful, my Basil is look just so-so. Your buns or are they cookies, they look yummy. I love the socks, they turned out beautiful. I love the shot of your grandmother and her dog. Your ancestry search sounds exciting, good luck with the search. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. They are cookies. The recipe is here:
      https://chasingvibrance.com/chewy-walnut-treasures/

      Delete
  6. Your plants and socks look great! My SIL is doing some research into our family's history. She recently came across letters from the civil war era. Interesting. It's fun to look through old pictures, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I just wish that they marked the pictures on the back!

      Delete
  7. beautiful socks! I also get sucked into social media and then I get nothing done, you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been busy with some very interesting and rewarding pursuits. I hope you find out more about your Civil War veteran.

    Old photos unnerve me. I don't know why. We live near a strip that is famous for antique shops, and many of them have orphaned old photographs from all different decades, back to the earliest photographs ever. Some just sit in big baskets, sold for a nominal price apiece. I find it upsetting. I can't even look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I like them. Although not knowing who they are is frustrating to me.

      Delete
  9. Love the coleus and the cukes! The socks are very festive and the patterning just makes them sing! The ancestry questions are always a fun search--I remember my Mom sitting down with my Gram and having her write all she could remember about each of the photos in our 'ancient' family albums! Happy searching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did this with my dad with some of the pictures. But he was already in his 90's and didn't remember some people.

      Delete