Friday, November 6, 2020

Friday Home Treasure

 Today's treasure was my parent's. Most of my old treasures are from my family, and I have remembered them existing most of my life. 

This is a little Japanese carved frog that fits in the palm of my hand. I did a little research (Translation: I put "Japanese wood frog" in the search option on Ebay.com) and found out that it's made from Cryptomeria wood. It is amazingly light, kind of like balsam wood. Cryptomera is a Japanese cedar. 






Have a great weekend! I will soon give you an update on the side yard transformation. There's a flurry of activity out there presently.


10 comments:

  1. Hello,

    What a cute frog, wonderful carved details. Take care, enjoy your day! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the wood grain in the first photo, I knew immediately it was from Japan. I have some similar carvings of other animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little froggy is gorgeous!! I love the swirls on his (her?) back. Does it smell like cedar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grain in the wood is fabulous. Beautiful cedar. I've walked through several bamboo forests in Japan and they grow so fast you can almost hear the trees grow!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was going through my parent's stuff after my dad died I found a pair of ceramic turtles that I had never seen. When you flip them over they were....hmmm... let's say anatomically correct-if you were a human that is. Very risque for my parents. No wonder I had never seen them. My sisters and I had a big laugh over that. It taught me to get rid of anything you don't want your family to see BEFORE you go to the great beyond...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, how cute! And the grain definition along his bumpy back is so beautiful. I'd want to keep him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is darling. It touches a nerve for me, which is NOT your intention. My sister did not ask me to my parents home before she determined where things were going. There were 2 things i really wanted . Sentimental. One was a Nativity that my aunt did in a ceramics class for my mom , the other was a stuffed fox. I'm glad you have some lovely things to remind you of their nearness

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure-very interesting carving work! I'm glad you have it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful...love that wood.

    ReplyDelete