Friday, November 13, 2020

Updates and a Friday Home Treasure

 Can't believe it's been a week since I've posted. There's been lots of activity around here. 

Remember this?


It now looks like this:



A welcome change. The top will have a fence, because we don't need anyone "dropping in"in the dark! Not to mention the soon to be local grandchildren.

Another update:


The Burrard Inlet sweater is coming along. The sleeves will be started tonight, most likely. As you can see, the purple skeins aren't the exact same color. The one in the middle is a tone lighter. It's evident in this picture, but in most light it's almost impossible to tell. I didn't even notice it until this picture. I'm hoping that once it's all done, it won't be an issue.

Finally, a little Friday home treasure. When I helped my father move out of his house (the same house to which they brought me home from the hospital as a newborn) we went through drawers and drawers of stuff. This little guy was in a desk drawer, hiding under a bunch of old pencils with dried up erasers and rulers and paper clips. I didn't know his origin, but I took him home. He makes me smile. He's only 2 1/2 inches tall, and plays his horn solo. I wonder sometimes if he was once a member of a bigger grasshopper band that's long gone. 




Enjoy your weekend! 

26 comments:

  1. Your new porch area turned out beautifully! Enjoy!

    Love the little cricket. He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cold to enjoy too much, but hubby is having a great time with the grill!

      Delete
  2. Ih, I so love the new look! Love the treasure you found..I would have brought it home, too. And the sweater...honest to goodness I like that look...makes me think of the fabric I get for quilting. Its do pretty I cannot stand to cut it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments. I can't wait for spring to really enjoy the patio.

      Delete
  3. Hi Minerva, I came to you from Vera. Wow that is quite an impressive deck/walk change. It is just beautiful. and your lil lmomento from your father is so sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for a "friend" for Mr. Grasshopper. The patio has been christened- the husband has grilled out on it a few times.

      Delete
  4. The little guy looks like Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio. It’s a real treasure. The transformation of your patio is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you've redone the patio. It looks like it was always that way. Perfect. Your sweater is beautiful too. The color is one of my favorites and I think the differences in shades look natural.
    That cricket is so cute. He's perfect and a great reminder of childhood.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comments. I love the sweater color, too. It's cheery.

      Delete
  6. Hello,

    The retaining wall and patio look beautiful, well done! I love the sweater too, it is really pretty. The Jiminy Cricket is adorable, it is a treasure. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I now have a friend for Jiminy. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  7. Your remodel looks great. My neighbors just did something similar and it was fun watching the stone worker do their thing.
    That is a cute little fella you have there and the sweater is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to watch them lay the bricks and stone. Thanks for your kind comments!

      Delete
  8. My grandfather always had little doodads like that in his desk and on windowsills around the house. So funny.

    Your new patio space is really attractive. I love the redo on the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had heaps of little things like this! I don't think that they threw anything out!

      Delete
  9. That's a great transformation!
    That little grasshopper is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      The grasshopper has a friend now. I'll share in the future.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Your backyard reno is incredible! I love what you accomplished! The sweater is coming right along, too--nice work. the sleeves can be a slog but it's all good,right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeves are done! They weren't so bad, actually.

      Delete
  11. PS-the grasshopper is so cute-made me think of the early cartoon of the grasshopper and the ants!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a gorgeous wall and a set of steps! I'm with you about a rail, knowing me I would forget...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the wall!!! And the sweater!!
    Your little grasshopper looks like a Vintage German Erzgebirge figure. I think the 'band' had lots of different insects...ladybugs were pretty popular. I have some of the Christmas figures and just love them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! I just researched it, and even went on Ebay to see if they have more. They are adorable!

      Delete