Thursday, October 22, 2020

Thursday

Today was a good day. Well, it started out a little rough. My shingles and flu vaccines yesterday were making me a bit achy, but it was nothing that a little ibuprofen didn't take care of.

So in the afternoon, the husband and I went to the store. I have been reading that flour may be hard to find again soon, so I picked up a bag. Just on a whim, I went down the cleaning aisle and lo and behold, they had disinfectant wipes! I picked up 3 tubs of them. 

While we were in line, I told my husband to go ahead and pay and I'd meet him at the car. I went back and got 3 some more wipes, and then delivered them to 3  different friends who have immunity issues due to cancer and other ailments. It felt good to drop them off on their porches. These wipes are such a rare thing to see these days!

On to knitting...

I received a package today. I bought some yarn during NY State Sheep and Wool Festival (Rhinebeck) during their virtual event last weekend. I've been to the actual festival once with friends. It wasn't the same, but I did find some nice yarn.


This is why I love getting yarn from independent dyers/spinners. The receipt had this fabric bat button pinned to it with a big handwritten thank-you! And the tissue was beautiful, too.



This yarn is from Starcroft Fibers in Maine. They raise the sheep on an island off the coast, and have done so for over 100 years. If you want to read about it, go HERE

The yarn is so rustic and beautiful. They had a deal that they would give you the sweater pattern for free if you buy enough yarn to make it. The pattern was what drew me to the yarn. It's Muriel, and here's a picture off of Ravelry:


The main color that I'm using is the pumpkin color, and the navy is the yoke design. This may be my next project!

Tomorrow is Home Treasure Friday! I'll be posting a picture of something that I have in my house. Join me if you would like!

17 comments:

  1. That sweater is so pretty. Love the colors you chose.

    As for the bat button ........isn't fun getting a little unexpected gift in your parcel. Love the bat button too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's the added touches that make my day. And the yarn ain't bad, either!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better after your injections. The flu shot left me achy and feverish for about 24 hours this year. I haven't had that reaction for several years. I think it was a pretty powerful injection this year.
    Love the new yarn and the bat button too. Extra little something's are always nice.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same reaction, but not sure if it was the flu or the shingles vax. But like you, after 24 hours I feel pretty good!

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I have not found the wipes in any stores lately. You are lucky to find them. The yarn is beautiful, I love all the colors. The sweater pattern is pretty. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fluke, I think. I was at the right place at the right time. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  4. That was such a kind thing you did, delivering wipes to your friends. I know they appreciated it.

    That pattern looks lovely. I know you'll do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to help people and socially distance at the same time. I did what I could and will continue to try to help people. It's one thing that keeps my spirit up.

      Delete
  5. we got the flu and the pneumonia shots but have yet to do shingles...it's on the list. I love your new yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shingles is a bit painful to get but I went back for the second one, so it must not be that bad! Left a swollen achey arm, but it's better today.

      Delete
  6. That will be another lovely sweater!
    That bat button is cute! When we dyed yarn, we made stitch markers and taped them to each skein. I was a nice little extra that didn't cost us much, but people loved them. It's what makes buying from an independent so much nicer than a corporation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree! What a nice surprise stitch markers will be!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about indy dyers. Their packages are always such a pleasure to open. You can really tell they love what they do.
    You were so generous to share your hand wipes. I've been stocking up on just about everything after seeing what's going on in Europe again. Our numbers down here in S MD are on the rise too. Not as dramatic but it's still not making me happy. I was just starting to get comfortable getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Maryland is not as scary as other places, but we are just as vulnerable as everyone else when it comes to this pandemic.

      Delete
  8. Love your yarn choice and it will be stunning in that sweater!
    nice of you to share the wipes with friends-who would've thought they would be such a rare commodity?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea, or I would have stocked up. I can't wait to start the sweater!

      Delete