Thursday, October 1, 2020

It's October

 It's October. It's when changes come to the yard and the wildlife changes.  Flowers fade and tomatoes on the vine just won't turn red any more.



There are mantises galore. They are camouflaged in many ways. Above are two examples. 

The monarch butterflies have been abundant.  More this year than I ever remember.


And they manage to pose quite nicely for me. This one is a male. Do you want to know one way to tell?  See those two black dots in the middle of the smaller wings near the end of its body? That's a sure sign.

My hummingbirds have left for the winter for a warmer climate. But one managed to stay still a few weeks ago, long enough for a quick picture.


My current project on the needles is a pair of Christmas socks. The color scheme seems more like the Grinch than Christmas, because of all of the Grinchy green. But it's beautiful yarn and quite sparkly. 




Simply Socks Yarn Co. had a big sale on some Christmas yarn a few weeks ago, and I took advantage. I bought 3 skeins. More on the other two later.

Hope everyone is having a good week. Thank you for all of your comments, and welcoming me back to the blogosphere! 


21 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I like your hibiscus bloom and the socks. The yarn is pretty.
    I have only 1-2 Monarchs, not many are being seen here. Love the cute hummer. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My hibiscus is winding down now, but still has a few blooms. I had one Monarch caterpillar in my front garden, but I can't swear that a mantis didn't have him for lunch!

      Delete
  2. The monarch photo is stunning. I only saw TWO this year. The swallowtails were abundant though.

    Love the socks ---- a bit of sparkle makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have seen a lot of swallowtails, too.

      Delete
  3. Simply Socks is one of my favorite online yarn companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used Simply Socks. I'll have to look it up as yours are very pretty and "Christmasy". I have seen a lot of monarchs this year but not recently. I think it's too cold for them now. The hummingbirds have been gone for weeks.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply Socks is a rabbit hole that I fall down occasionally. It is a great website. My hummingbirds are now gone, too. I miss them.

      Delete
  5. Simply socks is great and their sales are excellent! We have noticed more praying mantises this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great website, but a bit too tempting. I can only look occasionally.

      Delete
  6. gorgeous sock striping and I love your bug photos. It has been changing drastically outside as fall takes over!! I am in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen more praying mantises this year than ever before. They've been everywhere. I wonder if that means anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....Mantises are taking over the world?...They might do a better job!

      Delete
  8. I just saw an itty bitty baby mantis on the deck. I haven't seen one in ages.
    Love those socks. Such happy stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seem big and small ones. Brown and green ones.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pics--I learned something! Thanks for showing the way to spot a male monarch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I read up on it after I took the picture. Who knew?

      Delete
  10. I am sorry to be late commenting..I am not at home and seems hard to remember anything. Anyway, like the socks, and the mantises, and the Monarch. For the first time in years did not see a single oraying mantis. I usually have a hatching at home.

    ReplyDelete