Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Tuesday

 It's a sunny cool day here in my neck of the woods. My wind chimes are chiming away out on the patio, and maple leaves are slowly dropping from way up in the tree. 

I have a beautiful hosta plant in my yard. It was transplanted from my former Mother-in-law's house. It's spectacularly huge, and is a beautiful light green. I tried to find a past picture of its entirety, but this is all that I can find.


But you get the idea. I diligently spray this baby with "Deer Out" every few weeks all Spring and Summer long. This keeps it from becoming a salad bar for my wandering neighbors overnight. It's a great product, and is not toxic. Mostly mint and lavender oil. Anyway, I must have gotten lax with the spraying these last weeks.


Stalks... Seems that there was a feast in my yard last night. 

Luckily, Lion's Ear and Japanese Anemone are not a delicacy to my deer friends. They are growing over five feet tall, and are really putting out some blooms this year.

Above: lovely fall orange of the Lion's Ear


The Japanese Anemone came into my yard as a volunteer. I have moved it from the back to the front of the house and this year has been its best year yet.

On the knitting front, I started a new project with alpaca yarn that I bought this year at the Md. Sheep and Wool Festival(virtual). It's from an alpaca farm and the yarn is tagged with a photo and the name of the alpaca that supplied the yarn. Here's the pattern and the yarn that I'm using. All from a place called Berrymeadow Farm.




I knit up to where the second color (the darker of the two) was added and knit in dashes across the shawl. I have ripped it out, because I don't like how I've carried the other yarn up the side. I'm about to add it again, but I'm just not in love with this project. Thaddeus has provided some beautiful yarn, and the pattern is well written. It's me. I'm just not into it. I will try one more time to keep going. Pictures later.

16 comments:

  1. Oh your poor hosta!
    We are too far into suburbia to have to worry about deer. I do, however, have some very hungry bunbuns - and then there's the squirrels! they aren't bad when things are bigger, but they LOVE bulbs, and tender new sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in suburbia, too. But in Maryland, that doesn't save you from the deer. There are lots of parks around and spaces where there are no houses, so all bets are off.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Wow, the deer did a number on your pretty hosta. Your blooms are gorgeous. I love the Japanese Anemone. Good luck with your project. Thaddeus is a cutie, I love the alpacas. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I would love to meet Thaddeus!

      Delete
  3. The deer ate all my hostas this year even the ones I have in buckets on the porch. I am going to have to get some of that spray on stuff because my yard looks pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend this stuff! It's on Amazon and lasts a season. DeerOut.

      Delete
  4. Must have been the night for deer buffet. They munched down my hosta too. The season is just about over, but that hosta was looking the best out of the bunch. Of course they didn't eat the ugly ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's the end of the season, I wasn't that upset with the deer. Everyone's gotta eat, right? :)

      Delete
  5. I wish I had hostas! I love your new project and how nice you went to maryland sheep and wool virtually!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually FaceTimed with 3 of my friends and we all "went" to the festival together. It was a little bit of fun in a weird Covid time.

      Delete
  6. I hate that all that is left is the stalks...but sure love the other two flowers! And Thaddeus did provide beautiful yarn. I hope next time you find joy in the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding more enjoyment in the knitting this time around. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Those deer sure can eat a lot in one night! Sorry. The hosta is a beauty--no wonder you try to protect it! Keep going with the shawl-it is gorgeous and I can imagine how soft the yarn is, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They showed up AGAIN last night! I saw them sniffing around the stalks on my security camera. I have continued with the shawl, and feel better about it. I'll post today.

      Delete
  8. It's incredible what deer can do. They're beautiful creatures, but pesky for sure.

    Thaddeus looks cuddly in his wool; he produced some pretty yarns. Makes you want to knit something perfect, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather have Thaddeus in my yard than the pesky deer. :)

      Delete