Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sunday

Not much to report today. It was drizzly and dull all day long. We managed to get in a walk without getting too wet, and Reggie got his ya-yas out.
Today's addition. Some bright stripes.


I was thinking about how I miss the simple act of walking through a produce section and really looking at all the fresh fruits and vegetables. These days, I grab a few bananas and maybe an apple or two and a bag of carrots and move on and away from people. It made me think of an experience that I had a few years ago.

My daughter married a man in the special effects industry. Shortly after they were married, he got a job in England and they lived there for about four years. I was lucky enough to go visit them four times. One of my favorite places to visit was in London. It was an open air market called Borough Market. It was not only a feast for the stomach, but a feast for the eyes. I took some pictures back in 2015...









I have never had a better strawberry than the ones that I had from this market. And I've never since seen artichokes the size of bowling balls! The baked goods were marvelous. I brought back some olive oil that was amazing, too.  
One day, we'll all linger in the produce aisle again, and study the fresh offerings. I hope that these pictures lifted you up a little today. They reminded me of a wonderful faraway place and a great memory. My daughter and son-in-law now live in Southern California and have two children. Things have changed, but I will never forget my trips to the U.K.


10 comments:

  1. They were wonderful photos. Glad to see some bright colors.

    I'll be really glad when our farm markets start getting their local veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to it. We have one open now, but I wonder how much is local at this point..

      Delete
  2. I'll be glad to really shop again too as well as visit markets like this in the UK again. I remember shopping at places like this both in London and Paris. Never did I think the joys of picking out my own produce would be denied me. Hopefully soon.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about Europe that they get the markets right? I've never seen such a display here.

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous market!! I miss lingering over produce too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we will be doing it soon. Until then, grab and go, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Oh, my good golly!!! I miss fresh fruits and veg so much. We never had really good produce here. For some reason Calvert County must be at the end of the shipping line because even the big stores are a disappointment. What we do have is an amazing Farmers Market that usually starts in May. I am doubting that is even happening this year. I did get a bunch of bananas in my last delivery. Today the icky remainders get made into banana bread. Waste not, want not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a farmer's market near me that's in a church parking lot. They have been open and practicing social distancing. With any luck, yours will open, too. Banana bread is a great way to use up the mushy ones!

      Delete
  5. i love how your tree is growing in color! I bought yarn to begin my 'decorations' !!! That market is so pretty, too! Sounds like a wonderful time to travel like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your decorations! I will miss going to England, but Southern California isn't so bad for a destination, either. Both have great produce!

      Delete