Thursday, April 30, 2020

Thursday

Today is the first day that I did not add anything to the tree since I started. It's been raining so much today, that I didn't have it in me. So, I finished the socks that have been on the needles far too long. I usually knock out a pair of socks in less than a week. 



Not these. They've been lingering for at least a month, if not more. The yarn is Berocco Comfort. It's super soft. They're for me, so I don't mind modeling them. When using self striping yarn, I like to go matchy-matchy.  The stripe width on the second sock was not a perfect match, so I did a bit of fiddling (taking out about 6" of yarn) at the end to make them come out.

Garden report: My husband wanted to have some raspberry and blackberry bushes for the fenced in portion of our yard. At the end of our property, there are some blackberries, but the deer get to them faster then we can pick them. So, he ordered some starter plants online. They took forever to get here. The tracker online said that they were stuck in a warehouse in Ohio for over a week. When they finally came yesterday, they were a bit disappointing. He planted them, but he also dug up one of the plants from the back of the property.

Here's what came in by FedEx:



Pretty sure that we're not going to get any big bounty from these this year!

Now, here's the one from the back of the yard:


Looks a little more promising. We'll see...

Tonight I made a dessert. It's an old Weight Watchers recipe that I used to make a lot. You dump an Angel Food box mix in a bowl with a can of crushed pineapples and fold it together until it's batter and put it in a 9X13" pan.  Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. You can put cool whip on it or do what we did and add coconut gelato. Yeah, kind of defeats the whole WW thing when you do that. But we had it in the freezer, and what's better than pineapple and coconut, eh?


See you tomorrow!

14 comments:

  1. My last pair of socks took longer than usual for some reason too. Hope the bushes produce more than you think they will. And the cake looks delicious.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knitting tends to slow down in the spring for some reason. More time outside, I guess. Now on to a new project...

      Delete
  2. Hello, your socks look really cute. I hope your berry bushes grow. The cake looks yummy and I do love pineapple and coconut.
    Take care and stay safe! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I won't get much wear out of the socks pretty soon, but they will be nice next winter.

      Delete
  3. The sox look very Scandinavian. I was going to suggest knitting a little pair of sox for your tree, but your neighbors might think you're announcing something. Yikes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That announcement would have to be a grandchild at this point...

      Delete
  4. That does look yummy! I've even got some pineapple in the pantry and come angel food mix coming from Amazon pantry in the future (fingers crossed). I'll have to give that a try.
    Love the socks. I've got several balls of Comfort. I'll have to go give them another look as soon as I finish up the socks I have on the needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely sock yarn for being so cheap. Only $8.00 at Webs. It's super soft.

      Delete
  5. Nice to have the socks completed! The dessert looks scrumptious!
    Those berry bushes will surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully those berry bushes perk up for you.
    I have both raspberries and blackberries in my little yard. I spend an afternoon pulling up the new sprouts of the raspberries last weekend - they would takeover the whole yard if I let them.
    My blackberry isn't as tenacious, but it's thornless (so nice!) and gives mammoth-sized berries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do worry that they may take over. I'll have to keep an eye on them. Thornless! I didn't know that they grow thornless. What a great thing.

      Delete
  7. Most of my sock yarn is self-striping. I match them whenever possible, but sometimes, I don’t bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to match when the stripes are defined like these socks. Sometimes they are a bit undefined and sketchy. Then I throw caution to the wind.

      Delete